I am sure most of you have hired a webmaster to create your company's website. The main question your webmaster should ask themselves is “how can I make sure my client's (you) website is visible on the search engines like Google or Yahoo/Bing?” This important question centers on a key term in the online word: search engine optimization. The mission of search engine optimization is to increase the visibility of a website on the search engines and improve the online user experience. As I was doing my research online, I came across Yahoo/Bing's top search engine optimization tips, some of which include:
1) Utilize social media buttons to engage your site visitors (ex: the Google +1 button)
2) Do not duplicate content. This is a big no no for all search engines.
3) Use an HTML sitemap and link to trusted sources internally within your site and externally outside your site.
4) Develop fresh content often--search engines like to see new content.
5) With link building, you should use keyword-relevant anchor tags that link back to tip #4 above.
6) Create an RSS feed for your site. People often subscribe to RSS feeds to keep in contact with their favorite websites.
7) Flash may not be the best solution for your website.
8) Make it easy to navigate through your site. Search engines love structure.
9) Do not buy links. Period.
For more search engine optimization tips from Yahoo/Bing, go to http://www.searchenginejournal.com/bing-gives-a-list-of-18-seo-fundamentals/32554/
I also came across Google's search engine optimization guide. Check it out here.
Does your company’s webmaster follow these search engine optimization basics? Are there any additional tips you would include?
About Alan Moore: Alan is an Internet Marketing Consultant with ReachLocal Baltimore. His mission is to help you increase your revenues and decrease unproductive advertising expenses through proven, online marketing strategies. He manages over $1.2 million in yearly marketing budgets and has worked with local businesses, agencies and the US government. Give him a call at (877)655-3438 to schedule a free consultation.