Attention local business: are you currently running a pay per click advertising campaign or even multiple pay per click advertising campaigns? Do you feel like your money is being wasted? Do you know what your return on investment (ROI) is? Look no further. There are free tools that can help you with auditing your pay per click advertising campaigns. Did I mention these tools are free?
1) Google AdWords Performance Grader by WordStream – This brand new tool literally gives your Google AdWords account a grade. If you are curious, here is a sample report:
The tool evaluates the following factors to determine your grade:
- Quality score
- Usage of negative keywords
- Impression share
- Click-through rate
- Long-tail keyword optimization
- Account activity
- Ad text optimization
- Landing page optimization
Another feature of the tool allows you to see if you are following general best practices for your pay per click advertising campaign. You receive a pass or fail symbol for these categories:
- Network targeting (are your campaign settings configured correctly?)
- Geo targeting (is your campaign focused on the appropriate market?)
- Language targeting (are you using language restrictions to target effectively?)
- Conversion tracking (are you tracking which keywords and text ads cause a reaction in consumers, i.e. a phone call?)
- Multiple text ads running (are you running multiple text ads in each ad group to maximize the potential of your campaign?
- Modified broad match type (are you implementing match types to strengthen your keyword list?)
- Negative keywords (if some types of keywords are not producing results, are you classifying those words as negative keywords?
- Use of Adwords ad extensions (are you using ad extensions to improve your overall campaign?
The primary advantage of this tool is that your grade is compared to your competitors who spend a similar amount of money on their Google Adwords campaign.
2) Report Analyzer by Certified Knowledge – This tool goes deeper into the performance of your pay per click advertising campaign through these reports:
- Placement/Keyword Performance
- Ad Performance
- URL Performance
- Ad Group Performance
- Campaign Performance
- Account Performance
- Demographic Performance
- Geographic Performance
- Search Query Performance
- Placement Performance
The tool also provides detailed feedback on how you can enhance your campaign to be more profitable.
Word of advice: While the tools mentioned above are definitely helpful, you should not solely rely on them. As Tom Demers mentions, these tools are “not a substitute for in-depth campaign management by systems that add on-going value and campaign managers who can generate valuable insights about your business and the actual health of your paid search campaigns.”
If you are looking for assistance on your pay per click advertising campaign, give me a call.
Does your company have a Google AdWords account? If so, how do you perform campaign maintenance? Share your feedback in a comment!
About Alan Moore: Alan is an Internet Marketing Consultant with ReachLocal Baltimore. His mission is to help you increase your revenues and decrease unproductive advertising expenses through proven, online marketing strategies. He manages over $1.2 million in yearly marketing budgets and has worked with local businesses, agencies and the US government. Give him a call at (877)655-3438 to schedule a free consultation.
Looking for more? Go to http://www.searchenginejournal.com/free-tools-to-audit-your-ppc-campaigns/32081/